Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Les Paul Special’

Les Paul Special – Build Gallery

 The mahogany body was split, reduced in thickness using the planer, then rejoined.The mahogany body blank was split, reduced in thickness using the planer, then rejoined. This to accommodate the thickness of the maple cap. A working copy of the body template sits attop the jointed maple top and mahogany body blank below.A working copy of the body template sits atop the jointed maple top and mahogany body blank below. Before cutting the mahogany to shape, a forstner bit was used to drill holes for weight reduction.Before cutting the mahogany to shape, a Forstner bit was used to drill holes for weight reduction.
 Routing was completed for the control cavity. The back of the body is shown with a recess for the control cavity cover and four protusions for screw locations.Routing was completed for the control cavity. The back of the body is shown with a recess for the control cavity cover and 4 protrusions for screw locations.  Routing the recess to connect the two pickup cavities with the control cavity. The route will be under the maple cap.Routing the recess to connect the two pickup cavities with the control cavity. The recess will be covered by the maple cap.  Maple cap was cut close to the line on the bandsaw then routed flush with the body template on the router table. Maple cap was cut close to the line on the bandsaw then routed flush with the body template on the router table.
 The lower portion was also cut closely on the bandsaw and routed flush to the template on the router table. Such operations are deceptively simple yet frought with potential disasters. Read up before attempting.The lower portion was also cut closely on the bandsaw and routed flush to the template on the router table. Such operations are deceptively simple yet fraught with potential disasters. Read up before attempting.  Glue up of the maple cap to the body.Glue up of the maple cap to the body.  Routing the pickup cavities. You can see the bridge pickup route has a flaw (top right of center) where the router bit bearing missed the template. If it seems wrong, stop cutting immediately.Routing the pickup cavities. You can see the bridge pickup route has a flaw (top right of center) where the router bit bearing missed the template. If it seems wrong, stop cutting immediately.
 Maple control cavity covers, fit by hand. I didn't like the first one so I made a second which came out pretty much the same as the first. A template would have made things more precise.Maple control cavity covers, fit by hand. I didn’t like the first one so I made a second which came out pretty much the same as the first. A template would have made things more precise.  Cutting out two necks from the mahogany neck blank. I ended up making my own neck profile template, oh my!Cutting out two necks from the mahogany neck blank. I ended up making my own neck profile template, oh my!  Working to level two Gibson style mahogany necks then add headstock wings. Top right, are two shop-made flame maple headstock veneers to match the body.Working to level two Gibson style mahogany necks then add headstock wings. Top right, are two shop-made flame maple headstock veneers to match the body.
Binding the Indian Rosewood fingerboard. Cutting out figured mother of pearl "crown" fret markers. I did it only breaking 16 of the tiny fretsaw blades.

Binding the Indian Rosewood fingerboard. Cutting out figured mother of pearl “crown” fret markers. I did it only breaking 16 of the tiny fret saw blades.

My first inlay work and I finally got a really nice recess cut on the third marker. Turns out they all looked pretty good after using some wood dust and superglue filler around the edges.My first inlay work and I finally got a really nice recess cut on the third marker. Turns out they all looked pretty good after using some wood dust and superglue filler around the edges. I very quickly discovered why it isn't a good idea to use quck setting epoxy for inlay work. I managed to break the 21st fret marker into three pieces trying to get it to fit before the epoxy set.I quickly discovered why it isn’t a good idea to use quick-setting epoxy for inlay work. I managed to break the 21st fret marker into three pieces trying to get it to fit before the epoxy set. This is the replacement glue up.
Advertisements