Home > Woodworking > Thien Baffle – Part 2 / Crosscut Sled – Part 3

Thien Baffle – Part 2 / Crosscut Sled – Part 3

In celebration of my birthday I took off work last week which translated into several days of shop time. I had been in a bit of a slump with some of the projects and it was good to get my mojo back to face them.

Phil Thien’s Cyclone Separator Lid

I had already finished the majority of the build on this garbage can separator but I hadn’t had time to run all the 4″ DC plumbing to my equipment. I essentially needed to turn this:

Vacuum & Dust Collection Parts

Into something more like this so I could test the separator.

DC Hoses Connected

From all appearances the separator is working . I completely cleaned out the larger shop-vac and sucked away. Not surprising at all, the shop-vac is very much under-powered for this service but it is a start and way better than nothing at all. I also plan to add a couple of handles to the separator lid so I don’t have to pull on the hoses to dump the garbage can. Originally I was thinking metal pulls but it makes more sense and would be more thrifty to build them from scraps of wood.

One of my next projects will be to figured out a way to contain dust from my miter saw. I’ve gotten used to using it but it make an ugly mess each time and I’d like to get that under control. I don’t have enough room to build a box type collector behind the miter saw as my band-saw is essentially butted up too closely against it. I was considering a canopy draped from the ceiling or perhaps a modified umbrella. I’ve even considered a modified box constructed of a frame with cloth stretched over like a “tent”. I’m still searching for ideas. Just to drive my point home here’s a pic.  It looks like it’s been snowing after extensive use of my friend the miter saw.

Miter Saw Mess Maker

At least I had somewhat effective collection on my table saw this weekend. The vac won’t evacuate the table saw completely but will suck airborne dust and even settled dust if I sweep it into the intake. I obviously need a real DC device at some point but this is a good start.

Crosscut Sled – Part 3

I picked up a handful of  2″ 1/4″x 20 bolts and used an additional length of recycled broom handle to make the attachment knobs for my adjustable mouth crosscut sled. The previous 2 knobs I constructed turned out to be too short so I am saving them for another project. I needed 4 knobs anyway, 2 for the adjustable plate and 2 for the removable extended fence (below).

Homemade Knobs & Blade Guard

I have a sheet of clear acrylic that I picked up from Lowes and have been saving to make templates for guitar bodies. I snapped off a piece and cut the blade guard to shape on the band-saw. Now, if I can figure out a way to tint it red without making it opaque I’d be in business. Finally, the completed crosscut sled.

Completed Crosscut Sled

I moved on to construction of the optional extended fence. The fence attaches to the sled with 2 additional bolts. It is thin and lightweight yet can provide the support for pieces up to 42″ to the left of the blade and about 6″ to the right (cut-off side)

Crosscut Sled Extended Fence

The way my shop is currently arranged I’d have to pull my saw away from the way to actually use it but I wanted to build it anyway.

There is one more jig detailed in this plan, a box-joint attachment. The device leverages the pricey Kreg top track and micro-adjuster which I have not purchased. I can see how they could be home-built but the main issue is that I don’t even have a dado or box-joint stack to use the jig. The idea of making box-joints interests me but this is a futures thing so I might put it off a bit. What I’d really like to come up with would be an adjustable miter jig for the sled. Now that the basic sled has been constructed I can scheme.

Box-Joint Attachment

Small Separator Baffle – a la “Stumpy Nubs Homer Bucket”

You may recall my small separator baffle build ended up initially in “failure mode” so I ended up putting the project on hold. Having several shop days, I gathered my strength and courage and attacked the project once again.

Additional Struts for Baffle

I fired up my compressor and added triple the number of support struts. The plastic bucket skin I last tried was another complete fail so I reverted back to the aluminum flashing I had on hand from the first attempt. I’m hoping the additional support will be enough to keep the thin metal skin from buckling again. Hell, they say you could punch a hole in the skin of the lunar model with a screw driver so maybe this will work?!?!? I caulked the heck out of it and I’m  letting it setup for several days before the test. I’m glad that I attempted another build on it but I’m not at all happy with the design and I’m almost ready to scrap the project. This last attempt will either work or more likely it won’t but either way I’ll not attempt another build of this device without a completely new design. Then again, there is always the Dust Deputy!

You have been reading an excerpt from the shop journal of the Turtlecovebrewer.

Advertisements
  1. November 12, 2013 at 11:16 am

    The cross cut sled looks really great! Mine is very basic, but it works at least. Yours is all fancy schmancy!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: