Home > Woodworking > Just add power…..

Just add power…..

I pretty much tipped my hand in the last post so you folks know what I’m up to. I must say that for a while,  I was overwhelmed by what needed to be done but once I got started I felt better almost immediately. As I mentioned in my last post, the hybrid table saw was unloaded to my garage and unpacked. Saturday I pulled out the engine hoist one more time so that I could rotate the saw 90° in the mobile base. I originally installed the saw in that orientation because the mobile base was narrow enough to fit between the legs of the hoist. Later on, I noticed that every single picture of saws in their bases showed them in a different orientation so I decided I had better bring out the hoist once more. It wasn’t easy figuring out how to drop the saw onto the base when the base wouldn’t fit between the legs of the hoist; I had to use some creative engineering. After hoisting the saw I adjusted the mobile base dimensions to fit the new orientation then I strapped the base to the underside of the already hoisted saw. Lowering the saw, only one edge of the mobile base touched concrete with the other edge resting on the hoist leg. That’s when I pulled out my floor jack. I was able to insert the jack under this edge and jack the saw up enough to roll the hoist out-of-the-way. The final step was slightly less eloquent; I tilted the saw up on edge, kicked out the jack and (as softly as one guy can) allowed the saw to land. All things considered it was a relatively minor “thud”. Whew, that was a chore but finally the base is installed as it should be.

IMG_3391

The rest of Saturday was spent cleaning up the basement and expanding the footprint of my shop to accommodate the new equipment. A wall of boxes that blocked the side of my shop was moved allowing me to move the miter saw station into its place. A chest of drawers was moved to another location in the basement and the armoire that it replaced was moved up to my daughter’s room (she wanted it). This freed up the entrance to my shop space and is now where my new saws will reside. I also had to disassemble a monstrous 4-station weight training machine which consumed the corner of my shop space and of which I continuously hit my head on overhead handle bars. (Side Note: This thing was never used for training in the 5 years that I have been here so disassembly was a good thing. That said I couldn’t bear to haul it to the land-fill as it is a gold mine for bolts, pulley’s and tube steel. If I take up welding I just might make a brew standout of it!)

The shop is really cluttered at the moment but the space is now clear and I’ll be able to tidy up and get organized once all the new gear is installed.

Saturday's Work

I started the saw setup on Saturday but I wanted to take my time and read everything very carefully. I began by cleaning the preservative grease from the inside of the saw and re-lubricating with fresh stuff per the instructions. This was all new to me so this Step 1. allowed me to begin the study of the saw’s anatomy. Saturday night before bed I read most of the 88 pg. owner’s manual in preparation for assembly on Sunday.

I spent some quality time shopping with Susan most of the day Sunday and upon our return she took the girls to the springs for a swimming treat. I went down to the shop to assemble my saw and 3 or 4 hours later, just about the time my  girls returned home, I was finished. I am not an expert on saws but I was very pleased with the fit and finish. The parts were clearly marked, instructions were easy to understand, all the pieces fit and no parts were missing. And like most assembly projects, if I had to do it again I could probably do it half the time. So far everything has fit properly so I didn’t need to adjust the trunnions but I will tackle these procedures as the need arises.

Grizzly G0715P Assembled

Although it would never be recommended per se, I was able to move and assemble this saw by myself with the aid of an engine hoist, floor jack and shop cart. To install the cast iron wings, I supported them with my groovy free cart (see previous post) while I bolted them up. The front rails, rear rails and fence tube are surprisingly heavy when rolled up together but individually they were quite easy for one person to manage. I’m completely new to such tasks but by taking my and thinking things through, I was able to get it done.

So, one saw down and the other to be delivered this Friday. I have scheduled the day off from work so that I can once again meet the freight truck and trailer the unit to my basement. Now that I have a little experience and all the bits in place, I’m actually looking forward to it. Among other shopping chores, Sunday’s trip into town was to purchase a (different) mobile base for the band saw. Instead of steel tubing I’ll have to supply some wood stretchers but the parts look really beefy and at half the price of the Grizz mobile base I am confident it will easily accommodate the band saw.  If I have some shop time this week, I’ll go ahead and get it pre-assembled for Friday.

A Different Mobile Base

Now, just add power…..

You have been reading an excerpt from the shop journal of the Turtlecovebrewer.

Advertisements
  1. June 26, 2013 at 9:26 am

    The shop looks good! I’m a little jealous; it actually seems well lit and you have a little room to breathe. Somehow I don’t think that’s fair!
    Bill

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: